Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Piper PA28-161 Warrior

Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #28

• C120
  • Fresh Boarder
So here is the background......

I like the idea of having model aircraft of the real versions that I fly for a living. As common as the Cherokee type is in the real world it seems most people aren't very intersted in them as a subject when it comes to RC, so I could not find any plans or kits for this aircraft.

My only option was to draw up some plans and hope for the best.

This is what it should hopefully end up looking like...

PA28real.jpg

This is where I'm at now....

PA28frnt.jpg

PA28back.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #29

• 8Wau_adminv15
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi C120,

Brilliant project. Work so far looks good. Wingspan? Engine size & type?

By the way - we have a plan for a Piper Cherokee - I'll just have to check the exact PA (serial no).

We also have 1 left in stock of the Topflyte Piper Arrow II Kit with full size plans and all. A friend of ours built one of these and won 2 accolades at the Oudtshoorn Scale Event. He did however change the plane to resemble the Arrow I.

I'll be following your progress with keen interest.
Let us aim to Promote, Safe Guard, Foster, Advance and To Protect all forms of Radio Control Flying, Control-line Flying and Free-Flight Flying and Building of Model Aircraft!

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #30

• 8Wau_adminv15
  • Administrator
Some photos of Kim's Piper Arrow Mk.I (built from the TOPFLYTE KIT)

PIPERARROWII-2.jpg

The TOPFLYTE Kit...

Kim's plane in process...

P1260470.JPG

P1260469.JPG

Cockpit with opening door and Kim made the Yokes operational.

24-27Sept09-004.JPG

... as well as the end result. Photo taken at Oudtshoorn 2009.

Some interesting info on the Piper PA-28 Aircraft. The paragraphs below only touches on the whole PA-28 saga...

In 1967, Piper introduced the PA-28R-180 Cherokee Arrow. This aircraft featured a constant-speed propeller, retractable landing gear and was powered by a 180-horsepower (134-kW) Lycoming IO-360-B1E engine. A 200-hp (149-kW) version powered by a Lycoming IO-360-C1C was offered as an option beginning in 1969 and designated the PA-28R-200; the 180-hp model was dropped after 1971.[12] At the time the Arrow was introduced, Piper removed the Cherokee 150 and Cherokee 160 from production.[1][13][14]
The Arrow II came out in 1972, featuring a five-inch fuselage stretch to increase legroom for the rear-seat passengers.

Piper reintroduced the Cherokee 150 in 1974, renaming it the Cherokee Warrior (PA-28-151) and giving it the Archer's stretched body and a new, semitapered wing.

In 1978, Piper upgraded the Warrior to 160 hp (119 kW) PA-28-161, changing its name to Cherokee Warrior II. This aircraft had slightly improved aerodynamic wheel fairings. Later models of the Warrior II, manufactured after July 1982, incorporated a gross weight increase to 2,440 pounds, giving a useful load over 900 pounds. This same aircraft, now available with a glass cockpit, was available as the Warrior III, and was marketed as a training aircraft.

Have fun building C120!
Let us aim to Promote, Safe Guard, Foster, Advance and To Protect all forms of Radio Control Flying, Control-line Flying and Free-Flight Flying and Building of Model Aircraft!

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #33

• C120
  • Fresh Boarder
Had a look at the Toplite kit. A little too big and waaaayyyy out of my price range. The real Warrior is so easy to fly so I'm hoping the model will be the same.

Wingspan about 1600mm and planning on a .46 size glow. Would have loved to go the whole fibreglass proper scale route, but my skills leave a lot to be desired so I'm going the iron on covering route.

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #34

• 8Wau_adminv15
  • Administrator
Hi C120...

I think your PA-28-161 Warrior is going to be an awesome plane.

It is about the same size as the Cherokee that we have a full size plan for. It is a CHEROKEE 65" (.40-.52 SIZE). I'm not quite sure of the exact model but I seem to remember PA-28 Cherokee 1961 Model.

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior 2 years 5 months ago #37

• C120
  • Fresh Boarder
So not much happening on the building front. Managed to sand the wingtips. Next up is the cowling and tail cone. I was thinking of using that green Oasis foam used by florists to make the mold and then fibreglass over that. Any other suggestions?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 3.403 seconds